Saturday, January 29, 2011

On my birthday? Really??

Wow. My husband and I have been married for twelve years this coming May, and together for fourteen in upcoming October. During this time, I think he's only been home on my birthday once because the Army keeps sending him somewhere else. This year, we were both thrilled that he'd be home, and that it fell on a weekday so we could spend time together while the kids were at school. Terrific right?

Sadly, no. He found out yesterday that he leaves with his unit on my birthday for a month going to Louisiana for classes. Sigh. Ah, well, what can we do? It's his job. We'd be in real trouble financially & health wise if it wasn't for his job. Most civilian insurance plans have less than terrific prescription plans, and with everyone except our youngest being on regular monthly prescriptions, we'd be in the poorhouse on any other plan - you simply cannot beat FREE! We can even get over the counter medicine free at the pharmacy with their "Self Care Plan". When the kids are running fevers and we need motrin or Tylenol, it's a godsend not to have to pay for it!

My younger son is on Concerta for ADD, and without insurance, that would run us about $120. With most civilian plans, it would probably fetch a copay of $30. He is on two other medications, my older son is on two, and may soon be on ADD meds too, my husband is on four or five medications daily & I'm on... Well too many to count, lol. If we multiplied these by $20 or $30 per Rx on other insurance, we would have little money left to pay the mortgage!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say here is this: I love my husband dearly, and I support his career, wherever they send us or him, and if that means missing my birthday every year, that's really okay with me. I know he loves me and would be here if he could be, but it isn't necessary.

I am proud to be the wife of an American soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment